Saturday, August 16, 2008

[8-16-08] ICE, Day Three

[9:21am]
     Got a good night's sleep. So nice. It's hard to get to sleep in a strange place, on a strange bed, with random people waking you up at random times of the night. Sleeping pills are necessary to get a full night's sleep, at least for me.
     Anyhow, I did the normal routine. Since I have to water-protect my port, I wash my hair in the sink. And, I just could not believe the amount that came out! It looks like I'm going to lose my 10 day bet -- it's going to be like 3 or 4 more days, I believe. I already have bald streaks on the side of my head. Interesting to note where the hair is first lost.
     Also, they've been giving me some "magic mouthwash" for some of the sores I have under the tongue. It's not all that bad, just really annoying. Makes saying a few words and eating Cheetos a little painful. So, even though my case is about as mild as it gets, I always take the path of least pain. Apparently, it's due to a low white blood count (though mine is not *that* low).
The downside to the mouthwash, is that it makes me feel a bit queasy for an hour or so afterwards.

[10:45am]
     It seems I've been talking so much about events, that I haven't said much on how I am feeling about all this. The cancer, the hospitalization, the hair loss, the chemo, withdrawal from school, scary BMT, moving in with family, and general emotional state. So, I thought I'd say a few words about it. In general, I'm doing absolutely fine with all this. Mood is good. Don't worry, I'll be sure to complain or be pessimistic when the time comes. But, right now, it's all good.

Specifically,
     The Cancer: I'm confident that ICE will show enough progress after 2 or 4 cycles to send me to the BMT program. My belief that 2 cycles will get it done is going up with time. I believe the BMT will send me to a remission, with a decent chance of a permanent cure (although I recognize the chance of a relapse or secondary cancer). Also, I am fairly certain that I will have some long-term side-effects maybe 10 years or so down the road. But I am also sure that they can be handled with proper healthy behavior, and medical upkeep.
     The BMT: Looking forward to it; it should be interesting. I know it will be totally tough, and I'll be pretty decrepit at times... but, I expect the BMT to the coup de grâce for the evil tumor, and that's exciting. Liz told me not to use the word "burden," so instead I will say: "I want to minimize how much of a workload I am to my family through all of this. I totally recognize that this is tough on everyone, and don't want anyone to feel any obligation whatsoever."
     Hair Loss: It sucks, but I'm cool with it. Kinda neat, in a way. But, then again, it's like wearing a hospital gown: an indication to the world that you are sick. I don't like that.
     Hospital: Things are great here. I do feel a bit trapped, but with the internet, and movies, and my book, I'm pretty well entertained. Food quality and quantity needs a little boost though. I'm starting to get into this novel, so I look forward to getting totally lost in a fantasy series (thanks, Liz!).
     Chemo: Starting to feel the effects of the chemo again; getting flashbacks to the harder parts of the Stanford V. But, still, I'm handling it extremely well. So, I'm not bothered much by it...yet.
     Withdrawal from School: I'm more bothered by this, than by anything else. School represents moving forward in life. Not only that, but redemption. Having to withdraw previously, and basically wasting away my potential for three years has really taught me the negative aspects of myself. Doing well, being productive, and generally being positive to those around you are what it's all about. That's why graduation from Berkeley is so profoundly important to me. I know that a bit hard on myself, but that's the plain truth of how I feel.
     Staying in school (finishing fall and summer sessions) while undergoing chemo and cancer treatment has been a personal victory for me. I'm proud of that. Having to withdraw due to cancer evens the score. It is a battle. :P
     Moving in with family: Same "workload" considerations as before. I'm really looking forward to their company. Just yet another example of how awesome my family is. I mean, I think most people envision long time spent with their family with some amount of dread. But we're a tightly knit group. We're friends; we hang out for no occasion whatsoever. Awesome and special. The downside is that I'll see Liz less frequently.

     So, that's the status report. All in all, things are quite good.

[11:40am]
     Heh heh. I just ordered more Japanese food. I love spoiling myself... might as well. :)

[12:51pm]
     Food Delivery Fiasco: About ten minutes after I ordered the Japanese food, I was sent to have my pulmonary function test. I thought it would be a short affair, but it actually took about 25 minutes. But priorities, you know? A PFT is *way* more important than Japanese food. Anyhow, so about 20 minutes into the PFT, my nurse runs up to the room I am in and says: "Did you order take-out? There's a guy with takeout waiting next to your room." I asked the nurse if he could take some money out of my wallet, left in the room. They nice guy just asked me if I had enough money, then said I could pay him back. Super cool of him. I imagine the delivery guy was quite upset, though. He was tipped well, but I don't believe they'll be delivering to my room again. [Edit: Actually, the nurse thought my tip was too big. Gave him a 3 dollar tip on a 22 dollar meal -- ouch!] :P
     On a good note, it looks like I've passed the PFT with flying colors. So, nothing's stopping me from Stanford BMT!
     Oh, and when I was sorting through my delivery, a food-service person came in because I forgot to turn in my menu. I was standing next to the window when she asked, "Do you know where the patient is?" I thought that was awesome.

[2:06pm]
     Chemo is starting a little late today. Time for a little pre-chemo Ativan nap.

[12:35pm]
     Just shaved the last of my facial hair with my fingers. Looks like I was short on the bet by about 8 days -- I've definitely hit the 50% marker. Good night, hair.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that the mouth sores have started already. I didn't think you would have them until the BMT. Dan the girls and I were coming to see you yesterday and everything went to hell and we just gave up and went home. I am sorry, I hope you are not too bored there. We are going to try again later this afternoon after a birthday party we are going to. Call if there is anything you want us to bring!
Love, Jen

Austin said...

Cool! I look forward to seeing you all! I'm definitely not too bored -- things are going well.

As for the sores, I had them with the Stanford V for a while as well. Happened when my WBC reached about 2.5. But I think this is not even close to what they were talking about with regard to the BMT -- this is really, really minor. I'm just reporting everything. Plus, the mouthwash pretty much fixes it entirely.

Oleswife said...

I am really looking forward to the time I GET to spend with you! I don't see it as anything but wonderful to be able to be a part of your restart in life! You know how good you feel after helping someone? Why deny others that feeling?

Love You!

Mom

Austin said...

I'm looking forward to it too! And yeah, it is my restart! I also see a lot of good conversations and hanging out. It's good we get to spend that time together.