Friday, August 15, 2008

[8-15-08] ICE, Day Two

[7:17am]
     So, I asked for a sleeping pill last night because I just had that "feeling" that sleep was not going to come easily. They obliged and gave me an Ambien. Alas, the pill was not continuous release, so I got 4 hours sleep on the dot. Still wish I could get more sleep...
     Barbara crashed over here last night. They got her a lazyboy-type long chair and everything, so she looked comfortable. Of course, without the chair, she would've found a way to sleep in some sort of crazy configuration anyways -- she has a talent for that. Anyways, since I was up early (sorry Barbara!), I finished my morning shower/routine quite early today. While I was washing, I noticed that there was no armpit hair! None, whatsoever! Did that happen overnight? How can that happen so suddenly? I think I retained some of that hair through the Stanford V.
     Proudly, I show Barbara -- "Look, no armpit hair!" I say. Perhaps it wasn't on the same level as passing a tough course or getting an "A" on a term paper, but, nevertheless, I thought it was pretty darn cool! See, I never liked that hair -- it's totally useless. If it weren't for all the work required, I'd probably get rid of it. ICE is kicking ass, methinks.
     Again, it the whole: "Austin, there's no empirical evidence to support your conclusion." thing. Nevertheless, I'm starting to feel more optimistic about this particular treatment. Perhaps two cycles wont kill the tumor completely, but I'm starting to believe that a 50%-75% reduction is likely. Still, if it goes so well, why not go for four cycles and kill it completely?
     As I heard it explained, they don't want to give any unecessary chemo. Not for side-effects and whatnot, but because it seems your body becomes more chemo-resistant as you are exposed to more of it. Since the "conditioning chemo" part of the BMT is the most important, it is better to have your body less resistant to the BIGGER chemo than it is to have a smaller tumor and greater resistance. It does seem like an iffy trade-off, and my doctor better have a good reason to support her choice. Still, it makes some sense. But I always liked the idea of going into a BMT while technically in remission. :P

[2:34pm]
     Good news! My Pet-CT scan has been scheduled for the 25th, my Pet-CT follow-up (to decide how to progress) is scheduled for the 26th, and I should get that pulmonary function test (that they forgot to do last time I was hospitalized) some time this weekend. More good news: Chemo started on schedule today, and my counts are slightly up from yesterday (for some reason), so I should be feeling great! However, I'm actually feeling a little worn. And, for the first time, I went a little "Pavlov's Dog" when seeing the chemo enter the room. Light, light, anticipatory nausea. All the anti-emetics soon worked their magic.
     I'm gonna go try and shave my little 10-day mustache with my fingers now. Just because. :P

[2:47pm]
     Wow, it worked! My mustache is totally gone! Creepy. Poor Gillette's gonna lose some money -- this is baby smooth! Heh, I wonder if it'll confuse any of the nurses. :P

[5:35pm]
     *Ugly Side Effect Warning* Embarrassing to admit, but I must report all side effects. Got about a teaspoon blood in the stool, so that's a bit of concern, especially if my platelet counts go too far south. Also, it's apparently important to distinguish that this was accomplished without strain (i.e. constipation). Nurse plans to add a stool softener, and will see if that helps. But they don't look too concerned (I'm certainly a bit spooked!), so that's a relief.

     On a more pleasant note, they just started the ifosfamide, and I swear I can taste it! Yum, yum.

[6:50pm]
     Guh. Looks like it usually takes a few days with ICE for the nausea to kick in. Last time it was the third day. This time: the second day. For some reason, the meds to combat it haven't been pre-approved for "as needed", so I have to wait until a doctor can be contacted. S'ok though, it's not too bad. But with stuff like this, it's always best to attack early.

4 comments:

Liz said...

I just read a study of breast cancer patients in which there was a significant correlation between hair loss/nausea and chemo effectiveness. So yeah, I think your instincts are right and ICE is most definitely kicking ass. :)

Austin said...

Nice!! Bring on the nausea!

Hehe, now there's a silver lining to that too. Awesome.

Oleswife said...

My friend who has had cancer five times (4 of them gastric) says that shaved ice (with flavoring) really helps with the nausia. Snow Cones - right?

Mom

Austin said...

Mmm, that sounds good. I'll be sure to try that sometime. So far, the nausea is well handled by meds. I hate to think of a point where that is not the case.