Tuesday, August 19, 2008

[8-19-08] Getting Settled.

[12:06pm]
     Now's the part where I get settled into my new home! First things first: establish the command center (i.e. computer + desk). It's actually a pretty big deal, since I have waaaay too many peripherals. Also, the desk was located up in the office, so you had a pregnant woman and a chemo kid lugging this desk through the brush. But we made it!
     So, I guess I'll stay here for a month or so, then head to Stanford. Then, who knows? I feel like somewhat of a nomad. Yet another good reason to live minimally. The strangest part is being out of school: what am I supposed to do with my spare time? When I was in the hospital, that was one thing. In a hospital, you're expected to slack off. Now, in my new home, I get that all too familiar feeling to start accomplishing things. Maybe I'll beef up on my coding skills a bit. Or...play xbox 360 games until my eyes fall out.

     On the cancer front, things are going well. The worst passes as you get out of the hospital. All that lingers now is a real lack of stamina and the feeling that I ate (and swallowed) several pennies. An odd feeling.

[3:51pm]
     Grades are in! I got an A- in Technical Writing! Woohoo!

8 comments:

Liz said...

I'll do my best to find an apartment so you won't be a total nomad after Stanford. Hope you get to have some fun and not be too pressured about accomplishments!

Veronica said...

Ha - I know which option my dear hubby would choose - hmmm, accomplishments or gaming?? tough call.......but I can already see his optical nerves :P

Chill and have as much fun as you can........that's an order......(can you tell that I'm back at work and getting into bossy teacher mode??!)...........Vx

Austin said...

Acknowledged. I will commence gaming. You all twisted my arm :P

Maybe I should go to Gamestop and splurge a little. :)

Liz said...

Cool, just don't splurge on *everything* you want, because your birthday (and re-birthday!) is coming up. ;)

Anonymous said...

I am trying to decide if I want to congratulate you from across the room about your grade or comment on your blog...hmmmm... This is more fun. =) Great job on your A!
Jen

Anonymous said...

Hey Austin..
Greg here..This reminds me of when I lived in SF I owned a wooden Futon frame, a computer desk and a light and simple chest of drawers..I had to manuever thru a tiny elevator or up stairs..so staying light is key although my futon mattress was like lugging a dead Rhino up three flights of stairs (no horn for grip though)
I think Ole helped me a couple times..glad to hear you're released. Did they wheel you out in a wheel chair? I kinda felt like a dope in that thing.
I was so glad to see my PS3. So commence gaming immediately.

Adva Ahava said...

Congrats on the grade and on settling into your new home! <3

Oleswife said...

Woohoo on the "A"! Remember, T.J. works at Gamestop and gets a 15% discount. Give me a list of what you might want to own and I can bring some out to you when I go to California. Dad already pre-ordered Rock Band II. We have downloaded a bunch of songs on Rock Band I. I have sung all the songs on hard and actually played all the songs on guitar (not bass) on medium. Aren't you proud of your old mom?

Enjoy your time with nothing to do. Do whatever you feel like doing!

Love You,

Mom