Sunday, August 17, 2008

[8-17-08] ICE, Day Four

[11:36am]
     I felt like sleeping most of today, so I did. And it was good; I just woke up. *yawn* They're starting the chemo in a few minutes, so that means I should be out of here by, say, 12pm on Monday! Woohoo!
     My head looks very "spotted" this morning. I haven't been removing head hair, but it seems to naturally fall out in spots. Fascinating.

[12:10pm]
     Sitting around the hospital all day, you become familiar with the nurses and get to know them. You also get to easily recognize how skilled and thorough they are. Some nurses forget to have the ifosfamide and the saline pump simultaneously and two separate pumps. Some, tape the tubing on your chest oddly so that it occludes. Some, forget to check the bandage holding your port, and allow it to nearly fall off before I have to say something. Lots of mistakes all over the place; nothing super critical, however, but after a while you notice these things.
     One nurse, however, is just simply exceptional. And get this: he is a Nurse Assistant, not a Registered Nurse, like most of those handling chemo around here. He hasn't made a single mistake, he is extremely thorough, is extremely polite, and does things like make my bed (which no one else here does) or pick up a few bits of trash about the room. He's also the nurse yesterday that fronted my take-out bill. His name is Jibril, and he's been a nurse in the US for only 5 years (previously in Samoa). Get this: he chooses to be a nurse assistant, because he's afraid his language barrier may cause trouble at a critical moment or something. His rank in Samoa was higher. Anyhow, I just wanted to say a few good words about him because he's awesome.

[3:20pm]
     Great news! I just saw my doctor, and I asked her if we could expedite the discharge process. She said that she'll get all the paperwork done tonight, and that I could leave when I choose tomorrow morning. That'll make moving out of my dorm much easier. I could get everything prepared before transport arrives.
     On the hair front, it's 98% gone. I just got annoyed at it falling out all over the place, so I spent about 10 minutes just running my hands through it. It fell like snow. There are still some odd spots that wont come out, but, all in all, it looks better than it did. And feels better.

Watching: Austin Powers marathon!

8 comments:

Veronica said...

Hey Austin......hope you've enjoyed a few days without my inane rambling comments :p
I've read up and glad to see you're continuing to do so well - I'll keep all fingers and toes crossed that you get out of there on time tomorrow........any delays on 'release' used to drive Wullie mad!
Jibril does sound fantastic - some of the best people on Wullie's SCT ward were the nursing assistants - something very sensitive, caring and professional about them. Hope you manage to tell Jibril what you said on here about him.......I know us British find that hard ;0)
Enjoy your last servings of ICE and here's to getting out of there tomorrow.........xx

Austin said...

I always enjoy your comments, V. :)

Here's to freedom!

Anonymous said...

Hey,
We are stoked that you are getting out and moving in tomorrow to our crazy house. Speaking of crazy...Danny just got off the phone with you and said that after you pack your stuff into our car you are planning on riding your motorcycle to Aptos? Don't you think that is a little much for someone just discharged from the hospital a few hours before?
Jen

Austin said...

Heh heh, I'm feeling pretty good; I think I'm up for it. If I'm not, don't worry -- I won't push myself. It would just save a lot of trouble to get the motorcycle while I still can. Hemoglobin's not critical yet!

Oleswife said...

The best thing to do about Jibrill is to ask to speak to the supervisor and tell him/her how great Jibrill is - or to write it in a note for his file. That is really appreciated and would come up when it is time for a raise!

I am happy you are going home (to Jen & Dan's house tomorrow)

Love,

Mom

Skymist said...

Hey, I can ride your motorcycle down here too, if necessary. It is your decision, but when one is weakened by illness fatigue can suddenly hit you out of the blue, unexpected. I wouldn't want you to be on your bike on I880 and suddenly realize you can't go another mile. Make some allowance for not necessarily being able to gauge accurately your endurance under these new conditions. If you do go for it and find yourself the slightest bit wobbly call me and I will come for you immediately and you can drive my Mini home and I will take the bike.

Veronica said...

Hoping you're out of hospital and safely tucked up at home with that amazing family of yours........Vx

Anonymous said...

Hey Austin!
Sorry I haven't been on so much, between school, rotc, and state fair parking this is pretty much the first free moment I got. I am excited to hear that your getting out of the hospital soon! Also, it's good to hear that you have such an amazing nurse (assistant)
Good luck with everything!
-Adam