Wednesday, August 6, 2008

[8-06-08] Term Paper and Appt. Results

[11:53am]
     Well, I just received my term paper back. I got somewhere between an A- and a B+, whatever that means. For some reason, every grade I have received has been some sort of hybrid of some kind; no point scale.
     Anyhow, what caught my attention was what was written in the margin below the grade... It said, "Good Work, Mr. A., no doubt under trying circumstances -- to say the least."
     It made me smile to read that. That was better than the grade, you know?

[4:49pm]
     After getting my labs done, I spoke with Dr. Cecchi and got the plans rolling. My labs were good: RBC falling very slowly, while the WBC was up at 13.7 (due to Neulasta shot). In other words, I was good to go.
     They're scheduling me for more inpatient ICE at summit (on the 13th), a pet-CT scan to verify ICE is working (around the 20th), and a follow-up oncology visit to discuss results (before 26th). The thought being, if I have clean scans after the second cycle(probably not likely), then I can skip the last two cycles of ICE and go straight to the bone marrow transplant part. If, after the next cycle of ICE, the pet-CT scan shows significant reduction (which I think is most likely), then we continue with two more cycles and finish with the BMT. Lastly, if the scans indicate little or no progress, then that's no good -- from what I read, response to ICE is necessary to indicate the BMT procedure. In other words, I'd have to look for different options. But that's getting ahead of things. I'm just hoping the next scans show a reduction.

     So, that's the plan so far!

6 comments:

Veronica said...

Hey Austin - popped in from Webmagic Lymphoma Forum and have had a good giggle at your blog - especially the family comments on your blog......I left a few comments on my husband's blog only to be told there really was no need :P

Anyways - have already told you that your attitude is fantastic and your blog confirms it even more........know that you have a Scottish well-wisher to add to your list!........Vx

ps - as a fellow teacher, your essay marker deserves an A+ for taking the time to acknowledge all that you're going through.......the personal touch adds a bit more meaning to the heartless grades!

Veronica said...

veronica - aka 'wullieswife' on the forum - just to avoid any confusion!! :0)

Austin said...

Thanks for stopping by, Veronica!

All the way from Scotland... wow!

Yeah, I love having everyone banter around here :P It gets everyone in touch, allows me to vent a bit, and gives updates. In short, it's great!

See ya!

Oleswife said...

Wow! Awesome Grade! Of course I know that your brain leaves us ordinary people in the dust!

Love,

Mom

Adva Ahava said...

Congrats on the grades! That's AWESOME! And here's hoping the next scans do show reduction.

I'm all caught up on your blog now, and I'm so glad you sent me the link. A lot of it made me smile. *hugs*

- H

Austin said...

Glad you liked it! Keep in touch, H