Friday, August 1, 2008

[8-01-08] Bacon, Bacon, Cancer

[12;44pm]
     Really tired this morning, so I slept a bunch. These hospital beds are great! On a normal mattress, I can get about 5 hours before my back starts hurting. On my special mattress, 7 hours. In here, 11 and a half hours!
     So nausea doesn't appear to be an issue anymore. They started me on this drug called emend -- that stuff is bad-ass. With these anti-nausea meds, this chemo is a cake-walk... other than getting a bit tired now and then. Oh, and I found out the "super secret privilege" for those in the oncology ward: you can write whatever you want on the menu, and they'll try to make it! Awesome, huh? I hope they have hanging tenders and pepper jack sausages :P But I didn't want to push my luck, so I just ordered a bunch of bacon.

[6:00pm]
     Yawn, just woke up again. Now am I just being lazy, or is it the chemo? I vote chemo, because then it isn't my fault! Other than that, it's been a pretty good day. They started the cisplatin about an hour ago, and no nausea yet! So I think adding the emend made a big difference.

     I keep telling the nurses and whatnot about my term paper, and yet I haven't really worked on it. It's hard to care about stuff in that "other" world. This is my world now, a world of tubes and chemo, and repetitive (and extremely annoying) beeping sounds, a world of friendly nurses who not only give you the medicine, they give you some good company. Where does a term paper fit in to this world? In fighting for my life, of what importance is technical writing? Oh well, once I leave the hospital, I'm sure I'll be able to return to that world and finish the paper.
     But there's a point to all this. When I was first diagnosed, I didn't want to be "cancer boy." I want to be "Austin, the lazy UC Berkeley student", or "Austin, the musician", or "Austin, the computer geek." But cancer? What an ugly thing: cancer. Cancer isn't attractive, or something to be proud of. And I certainly don't think I'm brave or courageous for doing something anyone in my situation would do. I don't want to identify with cancer. I want to be me. So, back then, I simply got chemo, went to school, and pretended everything was fine.
     It worked, for the most part. And that was good, because school propelled me forward. It was a positive distraction, and something I could be proud of. But now, the game has changed a bit. Things have gotten more serious, and there's really no way to hide the fact that you have cancer when you're sitting in a hospital bed with tubes attached 24/7. As for school, my month in Stanford will make that impossible. Nope, no way to hide it. I am "cancer boy" now.
Even this blog will attest to that.
     But there's an upside. I'm so amazed at the level of support I received from everyone -- it seems I'm loved. And this is a little vacation for me. I mean, I get fed three times a day, I get to slack on the internet all day, read the books Liz got for me, or watch the 1TB of movies Barbara downloaded for me, or work on my *ahem*midtermpaper. I can't be bored, and despite the situation, everything's pretty low-stress.
     This whole thing has allowed me to step back and look at my life. Re-evaluate my priorities and whatnot. If I could do anything in the world, right now, what would I want to do? Where would I want to go? In addition, the lack of deadlines, or career ambition, or financial anxiety... all that's been funneled into a drive to beat this. Fighting cancer is swell meditation. It's probably healthy.

8 comments:

Skymist said...

I kept you up pretty late playing dominoes. That was fun. You beat me soundly.

Skymist said...

So Austin, how much have you downloaded through the hospital wireless internet so far?

Anonymous said...

Yum B A C O N!! You are just like your old mom here! I love bacon. So does T.J. Dad says that he can feel the arteries clog whenever we cook it.

Mom

Austin said...

Mmmmm bacon.

I've only downloaded about a gig -- I've been doing a lot of browsing. I get about 500k/s, but upload speed is lacking. Plus, now I have a little movie machine of my own :P

Dominoes are fun, I'm going to show Liz how to play. When she gets here.

Skymist said...

(Barbara typing on Lisa's account) That was a nice piece of writing, revealing how your perspective on life has changed. Maybe you can turn in your blog instead of the technical paper!

Austin said...

Just jottin' down my thoughts :P
My grammar has got to be terrible, I'm sure.

Adva Ahava said...

Agree that this is some good writing, and glad that you got to put your thoughts somewhere.

I think that even if you feel like "cancer boy" right now, it's really only right now. You're a lot more than that, and you know it. Just hard to remember that when you're surrounded by tubes and beeping sounds, right? *hugs*

Austin said...

Thanks =)