Monday, August 4, 2008

[8-04-08] Insurance and School

[10:31am]
     It is both dreadful and invigorating to be back on my feet again! There's all these challenges to be solved, appointments to schedule, hurtles to overcome...it's life! On the other hand, there's a ton of challenges with unknown solutions, appointments unscheduled, and all sorts of tedious hurtles...I just want to crawl back in bed.
     *Ahem* Such is the way things are.

     First on my agenda was to get my prescriptions. I got my handy-dandy bottle of ativan last night, and it has served me well. However, to get all the really expensive meds, I needed to go to the UC Berkeley pharmacy. (They classify chemotherapy related meds in a basically "unlimited" category, unlike my other insurances.) Unfortunately, they were all out of Zolfran and Emend -- my two strongest anti-emetics. I'll have to wait for tomorrow to get them. Hehe, the pharmacist knew me and why I needed the meds, and he looked a bit concerned: "I'll hold this prescription on stand-by, if things get worse, give me a call and at least you can be set up at another pharmacy out of pocket." This is one of those aforementioned challenges... no problem. I'll just have to use what I've got for the time being. :P

     Next on the agenda, was to try to figure out the insurance dilemma. After talking to the UC Berkeley insurance rep, I was given the curt answer: "Sorry, you're out of luck. If you're not a UC Berkeley student, you get no insurance, and we don't have COBRA or anything." Bah.
     After a quick talk with my DSP (Disabled Students Program) advisor, I learn that the solution is quite simple: Enroll in classes, and either drop right after the 5 week deadline, or withdraw on the last day of class. I believe both lets you keep financial aid, withdrawing on the last day may be safer. I have an appointment with my Social Services liaison tomorrow -- she knows how to work the system.
     So, yay! I'm not screwed! Well, at least insurance-wise. Pulling these stunts does mean that I will not receive financial aid for my last semester at Cal. Hurdle: overcome (mostly).

     Last in line, is to schedule my appointment with Dr. Wexler so that I may get more ICE! I need my fix within 10 days. Bah, no one there, appointments: not yet scheduled. [Revision: They will get back to me]

     Well, 2 out of 3 ain't bad. Now to work on my term paper... ergh, gimme another ativan.

3 comments:

Skymist said...

Wow, Austin, Google is fast. Within hours of your blog entry it has indexed it. Do a Google on "Emend Zolfran" and guess what page is at the top? You could sell advertising space!

Austin said...

Wow! I've never been #1 on Google before... Maybe I should get free Emend and Zolfran now :P

Adva Ahava said...

Glad you figured out the insurance thing. I bet that was a relief.