Sunday, August 31, 2008

[8-31-08] Discharge!

[10:15am]
     Yay! I get to leave my room today! Hopefully around 12:00pm. Of course, they are insisting that I wear a mask, as my neutropenic score is 280!
     That means that my WBC is 1.0, and Neutrophils at 28%.

     I don't look forward to walking around with a mask. Bah. They're also planning on hooking me up with some more of that bone-pain-inducing Neupogen so that I get those counts up and return safely in two weeks. I've got to push forward!

     Hemoglobin is still slipping at 10.5! Approaching that devastating 10. All this is like a race-track! I mean, sure, it's my life and everything, but who says you can't have a little fun playing the numbers?
     If I sit around all day, hoping the numbers will get higher, I will surely find myself repeatedly disappointed. If I embrace the inevitable, then I can have a little fun with it. Look at falling numbers as a challenge, not a curse. Low numbers? Fine, a chance to test my mettle. Let's see how these numbers duke it out with the fabled sword of Neutroscalibur!
     Ok, before I get too deep in the realm of silly. Allow me to make my point:
     1: Things will suck.
     2: Often, there is very little you can do about #1.
     3: So just embrace it: make it a game, look forward to it, whatever it takes to make #1 not get you down. Because...
     4: When it all comes down to it, and you've done everything you can, everything else is up to chance. So go with it.

Just a bit of my twisted philosophy.

5 comments:

Adva Ahava said...

For sure, embracing the humor in everything is the only way to go. Sorry I'm a little behind - my laptop died a few days ago and I'm only able to use Joseph's computer. I'll read up :-)

Veronica said...

Congrats on low counts :0)

Happy flat hunting with Liz - hope that goes well..........Vx

Anonymous said...

Do they have any rules regarding how the mask looks? Because if not, you could paint one of those sharp-toothed mouths on it. You'd look rediculous, but it'd also be funny.

... I mean I know I'D do it... But then, I wear a fedora whenever I go anywhere. (I forget if I told you, but yeah, I got an Indiana Jones hat. Iz awesome)

-TJ

Anonymous said...

Just sending my love :) Mom

Austin said...

hehehe, I know you'd do it, TJ. :P