Wednesday, August 27, 2008

[8-27-08] ICE again, naturally

[1:58pm]
     I need FOOD! On the hospital patient guide, it specifies that lunch is to promptly arrive between 11:00am and 1:00pm. Around here, in the oncology department, that usually means that we get lunch at 1:00pm. I'm used to that, so I've been patiently waiting... To my horror, I just learned that I've been forgotten! Even worse, they are prohibiting me from walking to the cafeteria!
     Fortunately, I've bribed one of the guards -- she's going to try to smuggle something in.

     Onto less important stuff...

     I haven't really elaborated how I feel regarding my scan results. Truthfully, I am pleased with the results. Not ecstatic; not depressed... pleased.
     Apparently, this sort of casual attitude really annoys oncologists. It makes sense: they have to deliver so much bad news to so many people; any chance to deliver good news is a prized opportunity. It's a bit of a buzzkill if the patient already expects and calmly acknowledges the good news. Oh well -- I can't help that.
     But basically, I got exactly what I expected. Actually, not exactly. I expected the tumor to shrink, say, 35%. Not enough to head straight for Stanford, but enough to justify a BMT and continue ICE treatment. Technically, my results were substantially better than that. Even though the tumor only decreased in size by about ten percent, its metabolism went from a 5 to a 2. So I really have a 60% reduction. Call me old fashioned, but I want the thing to shrink a bunch too.
     Regardless, I can now go to Stanford (yay!), and I will get 2 more ICE sessions. Now that I think about it -- I am relieved. If the ICE did nothing, I would be in a very bad situation. But now, I can start making long-term plans again. So... good.

     but... I was just now starting to recover from the last ICE treatment! I mean, it wasn't all that harsh, but there were certain disadvantages... My stomach has just returned to me a few days ago: I can eat *anything* again! And, with regard to the opposite of eating, things have returned to nominal (mostly) functionality! It's one of those things that you don't miss until you lose it. Let me tell you, I can truly appreciate it right now.
     Now, I get to go back to the hospital and lose all that yet again. That sucks! Bah.
     Maybe this time, the ICE will put up more of a fight. In a way, I want my opponent to be more of a challenge. Like a ten year old beating up a heavyweight boxer... I'm kind of embarrassed for him. Let him get in a few punches just to keep up appearances...this is too easy.

     Anyhow, I forgot my notebook charger!! How could I do that?!?! I'm a nerd for crying out loud! That's like forgetting to put on pants in the morning! So, my battery has a few minutes left. So, ta ta for now.

2 comments:

Veronica said...

"Maybe this time, the ICE will put up more of a fight. In a way, I want my opponent to be more of a challenge. Like a ten year old beating up a heavyweight boxer... I'm kind of embarrassed for him. Let him get in a few punches just to keep up appearances...this is too easy "

BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR, SIR!!

Hope this round goes just as easy on you and does the full knockout on that darn tumour........enjoy hospital food, when they remember you :p............Vx

Adva Ahava said...

I am VERY glad the scan results were so good. That's AWESOME!!