Friday, August 1, 2008

[8-01-08] Blood counts are in...

I'm anemic! Woo hoo!

It's classified as anything under 13g/DL for hemoglobin.
Normal Range for RBC: 4.7-6.1M/uL
Normal Range for Hemoglobin: 14-18G/DL

7/30: 14.2g/DL, RBC: 4.50M/uL
7/31: 13.7g/DL, RBC: 4.36M/uL
8/01: 12.4g/DL, RBC: 3.92M/uL

That's shooting down way faster than it did for Stanford V! Interesting.

As for my white blood counts, well, they're going up for some reason. I have no clue why, but also interesting. Maybe they drop in what's called the "nadir."

I know it's strange to look at these life numbers as a game, but it's fun to guess.
I mean, my white blood cells have continued to rise -- when will the rise turn south? The hemoglobin appears to be increasing the rate of reduction, but you also have to account for diminishing returns. Knowing that, what will it be tomorrow? My guess is 11.4g/DL, any takers? Fascinating.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, educate me...what are DL and UL and RBC? It really seems strange to be rooting for white blood cells to go down, but I will a cheerleader...Ho, ho, ho white cells to go! (Dad groans, you are not going to put that on there are you?).

Love,

Mom

Austin said...

I believe DL = deciliter and UL = microliter. RBC = Red Blood Count.

Yeah, guess it is a bit silly. But I like to embrace the inevitable. Still, I wont be rooting for them to go down once I hit WBC of 1k/uL -- then they'd have to delay chemo, and that's no fun. :P