Friday, October 31, 2008

[10-31-08] Mom's Update

12;25pm
i was able to see Austin at 10:00 am. He was extremely tired so I left the room so he could sleep.

I just returned from seeing Austin. He commented that it was a rough night. His temperature went up to 105 again and he started the rigors (extreme shaking). He looks very tired still. Austin also was vomiting this morning.

They will be moving him this afternoon. His blood oxygenation was down to 91 without the oxygen assistance, so they are still keeping him on oxygen support. They are taking it off every so often to check how he is doing without it. After eating some applesauce, Austin asked for some ensure (strawberry). Again Austin is really tired and I told him to go to sleep. I have left the room so that I could update his blog.

There is no internet in his room and there are no cell phones allowed on in the ICU.
I know this is not detailed information, but his nurse just left for lunch and I didn't ask for updates on his BP, but his temperature is close to normal - YEAH!


2:00pm update
I just went in to visit Austin. Let me describe the set-up. You enter a very small room, you must open a special packet that contains a fingernail scraper and brush/sponge with iodine/something mix - just like the doctors use on T.V. You need to scrup with that for 3 minutes, either before or after scrubbing, you put on a gown and mask. Then you can go through the next door into the room.

Well, after I arrived, Austin's nurse (yes, he has his OWN nurse who is just taking care him) poked her head out. Austin was gently snoring again. He had stood up to go to the bathroom and vomited, they gave him Adavan and he was resting so it didn't make sense for me to gown up. His blood pressure is fine, temp is fine and he WILL be moved back onto the cancer ward this afternoon!

3:50pm update
bp 91/55 Heart rate 118 oxygen temperature is 38c = 100.4

I am angry....grrrrr. Austin was moved back into the same room he was in before ICU. A room with another patient whose visitors are not required to even wear a mask! They say that Austin's counts are up high enough that I don't have to wear a gown but still need to wear a mask. I was told previously that under no circumstances should I even lift my mask to take a sip of drink; I would need to exit the room to do so. Now they have Austin sharing a room and the visitors are not wearing masks. One nurse told me that the curtain would take care of blocking the germs!!!

Ok, as I type this the head nurse came in and told me that I was rght and the other visitors would also have to wear masks. I am glad I madea fuss. Time to unpack.

5:10pm bp 81/48 there is concern...temp is still 38c = 100.4
they are pushing fluids through IV

5:30 bp 106/81 whew...everyone cheered
Austin is very tired and weak. Ate a little soup but has to take breaks to rest between bites.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, good news. Thank you!

liz's mom said...

Marie and Barbara,
I am so sorry Austin is having such a bad time; will keep checking the blog. Please know that we are all thinking of you and Austin, and I am praying for him. When he is feeling a little better, tell him I said hello, and I will make him another quilt to celebrate when all of this is behind him.
Love,
Barb (Liz's mom)

Austin said...

Barb,

Your quilt has been a big hit with the nurses and aides! I appreciate that you have made such a beautiful quilt for Austin, your prayers also mean so much to me personally. Thank you!

Marie (Olewife/Austin's mom)

Veronica said...

Thanks for letting us know how he's doing - thinking of you all and looking forward to more positive news tomorrow..........Vx