Friday, October 17, 2008

[10-17-08] E-Day

[7:51pm]
     Oct 17th... an historical day for anyone who has lived in the bay area. More specifically, around 5pm on Oct 17th, 1989. Can you guess it? Yup, it's Earthquake Day! Today is the day of the devastating Loma Prieta Earthquake, not to be confused with the San Fransisco Earthquake (in 1906). This 1989 earthquake has an epicenter in Santa Cruz County, baby!
     As you can tell, I'm proud to have been in it. Does that seem strange? I mean, it's not like surviving the 1989 earthquake took any talent or skill. Nevertheless, it's a part of my history... and despite the devastation involved, I look upon the experience fondly. In fact, I thought it was cool at the time; the shaking was fun.

     Anyway...

     I had an appointment at Stanford today. I felt that I had enough stamina to ride my motorcycle there and back. I did, but that doesn't mean I'm not beat! What a trek! Especially with the traffic. *ahem* I digress...

     Basically, this appointment was to overview the next phase of the BMT process and obtain the final doctor's "go ahead."
     My doctor said everything looked fine, and that I was ready to start the chemo on Tuesday! I am still anemic (HCT 27, HGB 10), but my white counts were good. So, yeah, the next phase is a go. It was a very short appointment.

     Then, my scheduling nurse came in and went over the some treatment details and the side-effects associated with very high doses with these drugs.
     The first two drugs, G and N, are fairly innocuous compared with the other drugs. I should expect nausea/vomiting on a level comparable with ICE or Stanford V -- no problem. The big downside is that they are very concerned with mini blot clots perforating my liver. Strange, huh? So, to prevent liver damage, I have to be on a continuous IV of heparin over the next week (starting Tuesday). So I have to carry a little bag and pump wherever I go. Bah, something more to get in the way of one of my favorite things: starting the day off with a refreshing hot shower. How am I gonna manage that? I already have to spend quite some time waterproofing my catheter dressing each morning.

     Next comes the BCNU (Carmustine), which is administered when I am admitted. From what I gather, this is the most hardcore of the drugs that I will receive. Other than the typical side-effects, this one has some strange effects that will occur for a short duration while it is being administered.
     My nurse says to expect a severe headache for up to 24 hours... OK, no problem. Then she tells me to expect to be extremely irritated while the drug is being delivered. I'm doubtful at first: I've heard about chemo causing this sort of thing before, but never really experienced it myself. But, apparently, the nurses go as far as recommending that loved ones leave the room. My nurse has personally heard shouting, cursing, and general meanness from people who have received this first-hand.
     Still, I can't imagine getting all angry just because of a drug. But then, get this: she tells me that they prescribe a dose of Haldol to patients before they receive BCNU. Haldol! The extremely hardcore sedative anti-psychotic! How's that for strange! This is the stuff they give to patients so unruly that they have to be doped up so that they don't hurt themselves or others.
     Ok, maybe I can see myself a little irritated then. I mean, if they're giving you Haldol for cryin' out loud, it must be pretty bad.

     Then, the next two drugs are VP-16 and Cytoxan. Same chemicals, but at ridiculous doses this time. Well, the Cytoxan I will receive will only be at a slightly higher dose than it was for my mobilization, but that was a ridiculous dose anyways.
     Other that more severe versions of the typical side-effects, I can expect (read: very common) a large amount of skin irritation and mouth sores. The skin problems can get so severe it peels off (and is painful), and the mouth sores can get so bad I may not be able to eat. Both usually requires some amount of pain medication, ranging from moderate, to the IV morphine clicker.

     As for the transplant itself, it is pretty uneventful. A 5 minute IV delivery of my old baby stem cells. I could feel a cold rush, some chest pain, a little anxiety, and smell like garlic (preservative) for a while.

     And that's that! Sounds like fun, eh? :P

4 comments:

Unknown said...

So David told us about this a little while ago and I couldn't find the link forever.

What were you doing when the quake hit? I was on a horse telling someone that I didn't care about baseball because they couldn't shut up about the Series.

Stem cells are so hot right now.

- Amanda

P.S. Mike says you need a sidecar for your baggie.

Oleswife said...

The earthquake was at 5:04pm exactly, I know this because I worked for an insurance company and had to take all the claims!

Dad and I were driving home on the freeway and all the cars were on the side of the road, our car started "bouncing" and we couldn't figure out what was happening until the radio went out - ok, we were a little slow.

I just pray another earthquake doesn't happen while I am out here.

Veronica said...

Well, show off, I have NEVER experienced an earthquake......we live, as far as I know, in a no-earthquake zone and, big wimp that I am, I'm happy to be here!! But happy belated E-day, nonetheless!

As for the BCNU - I don't remember my husband being grumpy or irritable (or maybe I just didn't notice :P) but he DEFINITELY got a headache - described it as the worst hangover he ever had!!

Garlic? - apparently we use a different preservative in Scotland as Wullie's stem cells smelled very definitely of sweetcorn!

Will be thinking of you on Tuesday as you start your, hopefully, last ever week of chemo :)...........Vx

Austin said...

On the day of the earthquake, I had just finished watching Woodie Woodpecker and was waiting for the next cartoon to play... I think it was actually the "Legend of Zelda/Mario Bros." cartoon.

I remember always getting a kick when Link said sarcastically: "Well, excuuuuuuuse me, Princess."

Anyhow, I remember being a bit spooked, then I hit under the kitchen table and waited it out. My sister was on the swings outside -- it looked like her experience was more fun. :P