Tuesday, October 7, 2008

[10-07-08] ... and time passes.

[9:33pm]
     With no treatments or medical appointments, I am allowed a few moments to stop and think about things. Most of the time I think about the future: making it through school... achieving a career... a family. Some of the time, I think about how much my path has derailed.
     This is why keeping busy can be a blessing. This is also why school was very helpful during my initial treatment. Gotta keep moving...

     But don't get me wrong -- my thoughts may be a bit deep right now, but I'm certain the BMT will be a success. I always daydream and evaluate possibilities. It's part of my personality; I always do it. What are the probabilities? How can we plan for all eventualities?

     For example, last Sunday I was talking to Liz about our carefree lifestyle. I mean, it certainly isn't carefree, but it should be. We stress about work, school, family, money... but when it comes right down to it, everything will be fine.
     To illustrate my point, I began to think about the worst possible scenario. I mean the worst: like a nuclear strike destroys California while I am out of state. Everyone I know is gone; everything I own is gone; I find myself in the metro station without a dime. I could work at Taco Bell, or as a bagger in the local grocer. It's not high-tech, but at least I could get the job quickly, and it would be enough to feed me. Not enough for rent, but I could sleep under the stars in the local redwood forest. If there's no jobs available, I'm sure there would be some government aid or something. No government aid? Even then, I'm certain I could figure things out.
     So if you're stressed out about a midterm, for example, you can think to yourself: It is alright if I fail this. In fact, it is alright if I fail school, lose my job, and get evicted. At least I have food. Even if I don't have food, at least I'm not in pain. If I am starving and in pain, well at least my family is alright. etc...etc... Things could be always be worse... always.
     Kinda makes the midterm seem a little less important. Kinda makes life seem like it is made up of a bunch of little things, instead of all big things.

     My point is that thinking about how things can get worse can make one appreciate the present, maybe even make it a bit less stressful. That is, as long as you don't get all depressed and emo about it; gotta keep things in perspective, of course.
     But, then again, keeping busy prevents you from thinking at all. And that's nice too.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

You sure a nuclear winter is the worst? I always thought it'd be a zombie siege to a building with dwindiling supplies, no electricity, and some serious security issues.

Oh man, and there could be vampires too. And they'd have to fight the zombies to keep you alive so they could suck you blood later. And there'd be this zombie/ human alliance but you'd always be wondering if a vampire would get a little hungry and suck your blood.

But then, when the zombie hordes seem to turn, thier numbers are bolstered by robots sent by aliens. See the aliens like the zombies because when they take over the earth, the zombies won't consume resources or even put up much of a struggle.

Now the vampires, most being hundreds of years old, are unfamiliar with technology and struggle against the robots. To fight against them, the humans equip the bat forms with EMP devices.

The EMPS however prove inneffective against the alien technology and the vampires are defeated. Seeing their doom, the remaining hums flee to the north. It's assumed the zombies are cold blooded and if it's cold enough, their blood will freeze in their veins.

Unforunatley the aliens have no such problem with the cold and wipe out all remaining humans.

Yeah... That'd suck pretty badly...

(If you couldn't tell, this was TJ)

Austin said...

Hahaha! Wow, I just *knew* you'd have a scenario to add, TJ. I guess we have this sort of daydreaming in common.

Ok, to illustrate my point, here's a worse scenario: everything you said, plus you have a splinter stuck in your eye... and the zombies taook all the tweezers and mirrors. :P

Anonymous said...

Drat! I was without the forsight to anticipate a splinter!

Oh, and there was going to be some stuff about werewolves, but I left it out. I mean, everyone knows werewolves aren't real...

(b'.')-b

-TJ

Austin said...

Werewolves?? Don't be silly! :P

Liz said...

Wow, someone needs to make a movie of that. :)

Oleswife said...

Liz, can you tell they are brothers? Marie

Austin, How is it they you always forget about your family in Kentucky????? Mom

Locke said...

Wait, are the zombies or the vampires allied with the survivors? You stated at the begging there was a zombie/human alliance, but then why are the vampires fighting the zombies with humans aiding the vampires? It sounds like you haven't quite thought this one through Mr.King. Speaking of whom, go here I promise it's worth the 17 seconds http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=9184844327277494066&ei=I1ntSIHzFYL8rAKLk5HhDA&q=family+guy+stephen+king&vt=lf&hl=en (that took me a very long time to find!)

Anonymous said...

No no... See, if they zombies beat the humans, then there'd be no more blood for the vampires. If there's no blood for the vampires, they die.

So the vampires have to keep the zombies from destroying thier source of nourishment.

Likewise, if the humans don't accept the vampires help in exchange for a few of thier own, there would be absolutley NO hope for survival.

So I have INDEED thought this through...

-TJ

Anonymous said...

...Although, looking back I realize I made a typo...

But that's different.

-TJ

Liz said...

Marie, yes, I am definitely seeing a family resemblance here!

Austin said...

Right... yeah, the Kentuk would have to be nuked as well for me to be doomed.

As for the zombies... nuclear fallout is *so* much more bleak, don't you think? I mean, with zombies, you can just grab a friendly crowbar or sawed-off and have at it. You can't stop fallout -- you can only hide from it.

Plus, zombies aren't real... Nukes can be made *very* big. Make one with about 500 tons of cobalt and you have a doomsday device capable of killing all life on earth. That's not fiction.. scary, huh?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, but it's the concept of them that's scary.

People you might have known trying to eat you. The knowledge that you could become like them. And the fact that you might survive longer means there's more time to wear on your nerves.

Plus, the nuclear fallout could be the cause of the zombies.

-TJ

Austin said...

Hmmm... How can I convince you that radiation is scarier? Would you rather go fix a broken nuclear power plant on an old submarine (K-19) or go Dawn of the Dead on a few hundred zombies?

Perhaps an empirical test is in order :P

Anonymous said...

Hi Austin,
Just dropping by to show some support ! Hi TJ, Adam, Marie, Jen & Ole?
your friend,
Greg

Skymist said...

The Dow Jones industrial average closed below 8600 today. There goes my 401k retirement account. It lost over $30000 this week. I had recently transferred some into stocks before the crash, thinking most of the stock market decline was over. Not nuclear fallout, but definitely not good. On the other hand, things could be worse, true. Lucky I don't have to retire soon, and I have a job!

Oleswife said...

I think the Nuke problem is the worse because, if I survived, all there would be alive besides me....cockroaches!!!!! YUCK!