Tuesday, October 28, 2008

[10-28-08] BCNU (Day -6)

[10:57pm]
     Last night I got two blood transfusions, so I have a bit more energy today. Apparently, my hematocrit dropped two points (to 25) in only one day! These drugs are impressive!
     So, using my newfound energy, I set up my x-box, my computer, and various other things, and got situated in my room. They were supposed to move me into a single room, but instead they decided to keep me in here until my white blood cells start to plummet.

     Anyhow, I think my stomach has transcended to a perpetual state of ickiness. Also, I'm starting to get pain in my mouth (right behind my tongue) whenever I talk. Soon I may not be able to talk, or take my pills. I mean, the purpose of the psychiatric consult was to determine which pills I will be able to take in liquid form, and substitutes for those I cannot.
     Scary, huh?

     And now I've been told that I should be starting BCNU at 1:00pm. The doctor said, "You will not like it -- patients in your situation usually think it's the worst." He then told me how the drug causes severe agitation because it can cross the blood-brain barrier, due to the fact that it is delivered in an alcohol solution. Patients have restless legs, twitches, and bad jaw pain (clenching?) -- hence the Haldol.
     A little under two hours before I am subjected to that; I am spooked.

     But still, in Austin fashion -- BRING IT!


[8:10pm]
     Bah, the BCNU was baby food -- it was Gerber, my friends. Call it coincidence or not, but after the BCNU, my persistent nausea went away. Plus, I ate a good deal of my lunch! Who knows? Maybe it's waiting patiently for it to attack me unawares.

     When they administered the Haldol and Benadryl for the BCNU, I quickly found myself quite sedated. The nurse was describing the effects of the drug, but I had a hard time grasping all the details. In addition, when I tried to speak, I think my voice came out somewhat strained or slurred; it was difficult to talk. Then, I fell asleep.
     Occasionally, they would wake me up for vitals and whatnot, but I immediately fell asleep again. In fact, I pretty much slept through the whole thing. Not bad!
     So I didn't get all irritated and agitated, and I didn't snap at anyone (including my mom) -- you couldn't really picture me snapping at people, could you?

     Some time later, I felt like eating the rest of my dinner: a feast consisting of pears, 3 jellos, 2 applesauces, and a dinner roll. For the first time since Friday night, I ate most of it! Tomorrow, I will try a light meal and see how it goes.
     The doctor was talking about putting me on a nutrition IV, but I think I'd like to avoid that if possible. Though I basically haven't eaten for a couple of days -- maybe they draw the line at 3 days. But, the way I'm feeling right now, I should be eating bacon by tomorrow -- perhaps even BACON!

     So it seems that the BCNU is a cakewalk. Also, that the transfusions are very useful. My energy is somewhat back; my nausea is gone. So... sweet! This SCT may be easier than I think.

     All I have to worry about it my mom tripping over my IV line again. Yes, the pole almost came crashing down, and a pump module with it's IV bag were ripped to the floor. Fortunately, nothing was "pulled" on my end.
     To mom's credit, the nurse almost did it as well. But to the nurse's credit, I was somewhat fumbling with the line as well.

     Right now, I've got the xbox 360 set up. So, back to the games! Wahoo!

9 comments:

Liz said...

I'll be thinking about you at 1! Let me know when it starts getting difficult to talk, so I'll know to email/text...

Anonymous said...

This afternoon will be a wild ride. Crossing the blood-brain barrier can't be a good thing!

Let's see, it's 2:00ish on the West Coast, so you are probably deep into it by now.

Thinking of you.

Veronica said...

Just think - every day that passes is a day closer to getting out of there .............thinking of you........Vx

Skymist said...

I won't bother you with phone calls. I would be glad to come up and visit tonight if you are in the mood. If you don't feel like a visitor, I'll be glad to do it tomorrow or later. Send me an email this afternoon with info about visiting hours, etc, and how you feel. If I don't get an email from you by 6:30 I'll assume you are in no condition or mood for a visitor, and that's ok, because visits are for your benefit, not mine. Hope you get through it and can enjoy your Xbox quickly.

Skymist said...

I did some reading on BCNU. It is a mustard-like agent, but different from the Ifosfamide you had earlier. It seems to be quite high powered. In early tests it gave "Unequivocal, dramatic and rapid response" against Hodgkins but it had toxic effects and was relegated for use against refractory Hodgkin's. I know you said that Ifosfamide was your friend, but BCNU is Ifosfamide's big brother. The stem cell transplant is the only way to get around the toxic effects of high doses of BCNU. So this is one of the reasons you are going through BMT - so you can survive a massive dose of BCNU. A very, very effective drug against Hodgkin's, but too dangerous for routine use.

Austin said...

Hmm, maybe I should've had more BCNU. :P

Austin said...

Cause it's a piece of cake!

Liz said...

relieved! Both at Barbara's explanation of BCNU, and the fact that you are doing so (unsurprisingly) well. :)

Anonymous said...

Sweet update.