Sunday, October 5, 2008

[10-05-08] Enjoy it!

[7:48pm]
     What a nice weekend I just had in Palo Alto! On Saturday, Liz and I went shopping, watched a movie (Religulous), and ate a fancy dinner. Today, we ate a nice breakfast, created a beautiful ceramic plate, and watched another movie (Blindness). Quite an excellent way to celebrate 8 months!
     The arts and crafts portion was kinda neat. You basically walk into the shop, pick out a piece of ceramic art, and then paint it with glaze. They charge you for the art and paint, then you paint it and they fire it in the kilon. You pick up your finished masterpiece days later. Pretty nifty.
     As for the movies, Blindness was a bit disturbappointing and Religulous was delightfully thought provoking.

     Nice to digress from cancer for a bit.

     Actually, I'm going to do just that; I don't feel like talking about cancer right now. So I wont. Except a quick update: they collected all the stem cells they needed on Friday and gave me two units of blood. I feel human again! Joy! I loooove bloood. Plus, at this point, I have a two week vacation from all health/cancer related stuff! After that comes the hard part. But until then...

     I'm going to enjoy my reprieve! (Edit: Respite?)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Huh, I didn't have high expectations for blindness anyway.

But what you SHOULD have seen was Simon Pegg's "How to lose friends and alienate people".

I myself haven't seen it, but not for lack of wanting. See, everything I've seen Simon Pegg in, I've enjoyed. So I swore that I would watch absolutley everything he came out with until I was disappointed by one.

And that hasn't happened yet.

Oh, and one more thing (Yay for Colombo!). Have you watched Donnie Darko yet? Dad thinks you have but he's not sure... If you haven't it's a must. I'm like 98% certain you'll love it.

Well, glad to hear your enjoying blood.
-TJ

Austin said...

Actually, Pegg's film was third on our list, but there was no convenient showtimes. Plus, I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic type stuff.

Yup, I've seen Donnie Darko. I'm not a member of the cult following, but I did like it.

Skymist said...

I began wondering whether the term "reprieve" is very different from the term "respite". Respite is

1 : a period of temporary delay
2 : an interval of rest or relief

Reprieve is

1 : to delay the punishment of (as a condemned prisoner)
2 : to give relief or deliverance to for a time

Which do you think fits better?

Skymist said...

Oops, I quoted the verb definition for Reprieve. Here's the noun definition.

1 a: the act of reprieving : the state of being reprieved b: a formal temporary suspension of the execution of a sentence especially of death
2: an order or warrant for a reprieve
3: a temporary respite (as from pain or trouble)

So, one defines the other, I guess, so both are good.

Veronica said...

I just want to add a HUGE congrats on collecting your stem cells - it's no mean feat. We thought it was always straightforward (it took Wullie 2 days to collect) but have since discovered several people who have had REAL difficulties collecting and one who couldn't collect at all and had to go on to an allo instead of an auto............so a long-winded way (do I have any other way?? :P) of saying - you and your stem cells ROCK!

Glad you and Liz had a fantastic weekend together - enjoy every moment of your 2 week respite/reprieve!..........Vx

Austin said...

respite/reprieve:

Had it been used incorrectly, it would've made a helluva Freudian slip. :P

Though they appear to be synonyms, reprieve seems more accurate somehow.

Anonymous said...

Hey Austin,
glad to hear your out and doing things, that's one step above my life in the "lair" so to speak (as every basement is appropriately titled as such). My friend and I are putting up a website, I'll let you know as soon as it's up (gotta peel dad off of the couch and get him to use his credit card for a domain v.v) we are going to be doing gfx design and web design (who knows maybe we will make a few bucks!)

Anyways, it's always good to hear from you. Keep enjoying your vacation and have fun!
-Adam

Anonymous said...

as promised
http://www.crimsonteam.com/
:D