Wednesday, November 19, 2008

[11-19-08] Freedom (Day +16)

[1:32pm]
     On Monday, I bargained with my doctors to be let out on Wednesday. All I had to do was drink 3 liters of water a day, eat some food, and practice my breathing exercises. On Tuesday evening, after it was evident that I had fulfilled all of my promises, the doctors agreed to discharge me on Wednesday.

     So why did I not shout out with glee? Why did I keep this wonderful news to myself? Because it was something so great, that if it were to be taken from me, my heart would be broken. To never acknowledge this news is to never expect it; if I don't expect it, then its failure to come true will not disappoint.

     In other words, I feared that somehow they would take this promise of freedom away from me... and they almost did.

     Last night, I had a fever of 38.2 for slightly under an hour. They ordered some blood cultured (which take a few days to process) and took some blood samples. At this point, I was sure that I had more time on my tenure at Stanford Hospital -- I was mortified.
     Fortunately, when the doctors approached me this morning they said that I technically did not have a fever! If you have a temperature of 38.3 or above, then you have a fever. If you have a temperature of 38.2 for over an hour, then you have a fever. I just squeaked by!
     After the doctors made me promise to return if the blood cultures showed any positives, or if my fever returned, they promised me that I would get discharged today!

     All that happened about 4 hours ago, but it has not set in until now. I've been spending the day like I've been spending the past few days -- sleeping as much as I possibly can. I have no doubt that I was in a hospital-induced depression.
     Just in the past half hour or so, I have felt that fog start to lift. I look out my window and stare at the auburn trees in the wind and think: "that's freedom." Then I get filled with such a profound mix of emotions that my eyes can't help but get a bit teary. I am not an emotional guy.

     I felt the same way when my mom insisted we go out for a walk. I had spent the entire day sleeping (or tying to sleep) and I think she recognized, for the sake of my spirits, that I needed a change of venue.
     So we left the BMT ward, and she wheel-chaired me around the hospital. At one point, we came across two large doors opening the hospital to the dark outside. She asked me, "Do you want to go outside?"
     I wanted to go out more than anything in the world. "But we can't," I said.
     "Of course we can! Let 'em try to stop me," she announced.
     Out there, in the freezing night air, I felt completely happy. I felt that weird mix of strong emotions that I spoke of previously; the emotions that made me teary eyed. I wanted to never go indoors ever again. Mom asked me if I wanted to go back inside, but I told her that I wanted to wait for a few more minutes. Then the wind got the best of me, and we returned to the BMT ward.


     So here I am again, in my room, watching the gardeners do their work in the garden below. And I think to myself: "That has got to be the most wonderful job in the world." To spend all that time outside... exerting yourself... creating life. It make me want to abandon my engineering discipline for something that would keep me outdoors -- forget the difference in salary. It reminds me of the movie "Office Space," where the protagonist leaves his job in a cubicle and ultimately finds happiness in construction.

     Still, I'm sitting here thinking about my feelings... and I think I may have been expressing only half of the story. It's not that I love the outdoors, it's that I hate being trapped indoors. It's not that I love my freedom, it's that I hate losing it.
     Now, I'm not an idiot -- I very well recognize that this little hospital stay may have just saved my life. But that doesn't change the fact that, somehow, I have been wronged... and maybe I'm just shooting the messenger, but I can't help how I feel: I hate this hospital.
     Please don't think me unappreciative, but, as I said, all this dehumanizes us cancer patients. We're not at a hospital -- we're at a veterinary clinic. Now, do you think those cats and dogs appreciate their shots and rectal examinations? I bet you they hate the vet too.

     See why I can't wait to get out?

6 comments:

Liz said...

wow! You might actually be out by now! *fingers crossed*

Anonymous said...

Austin!

Enjoy your freedom!

I just love your mom's attitude. She knew what her boy needed. It must've felt like a prisoner being released.

Hospital-induced depression? Yep. Glad that you are coming out of the fog.

Skymist said...

Also possibly emerging from major narcotic withdrawal. To take that much Fentanyl, then go off it in 3 days, is guaranteed to make anyone feel creepy, depressed, and profoundly annoyed at everything. The upsetting thing is that the dose could have been greatly reduced or eliminated if they had only supplied suitable mouthwashes or oral anesthetic gels.

Skymist said...

Did I mention that I think I have a cold? A minor one. I got it from Brielle, on Saturday, I guess. That's frustrating because I would enjoy going to your new apartment and helping out.

Veronica said...

Here's to freedom!!!! You beat Wullie - he didn't get out until day +18 - you rock!!.........Vx

Austin said...

Trust me, it wasn't Fentanyl withdrawal. I think, as silly as it sounds, that it was simply moving from a single room to a double. All of a sudden, I left my cozy little room with all my toys in it and was placed into a cramped room without a view and without room for diversions. Then it set in: I was in a hospital and it was dreadful.