Thursday, November 6, 2008

[11-06-08] Day Three (Day +3)

[6:13pm]
     Day 3 has come and gone for me, and despite my previous assertions, I believe that I was incorrect when I said that "Day 3" will be the most severe. From what nurses and doctors say alike, the worst days are those just before the time of "white blood cell recovery" - when your white blood cells begin to reproduce themselves normally.
     Still, with all my personal hype built up, I have somewhat come to believe that day +3 is a milestone of sorts. So, in the name of journalistic integrity and whatnot, I am here to complain, yet again, about a new set of "experiences."

     This morning started out like any other: with a shower. However, in order to shower-protect my newfound PIC catheter, I needed to figure out how to use their associated shower contraption. Not too tough -- imagine waterproof sleeves with belt strength cuffs at both ends. My arm was nice and warm.

     In addition, I had to unplug myself from new and (EXTREMELY LOUD) health monitor. This is because they have me doped up on self-administered Fentanyl -- it makes sense, really, you don't want to give autreally bored individual an essentially limitless supply of Heroin without any precautions, do you?
     So, that health monitor is yet one more thing that I have to worry about... plus the fact that the sensor is placed on my middle finger makes typing quite difficult.

     After the shower is typically lunchtime: where someone walks into the room with some food. I like to see their expressions when I say, "Nah, I'm not eating food anymore. No thanks." They realy want to leave you the food -- as if their jobs depended on it. Oh well.
     Not having to eat at all is quite liberating, in fact. Keeping certain foods down is a tremendous chore. Plus, often the food you can keep down tastes horrible or something. Then you puke it all up anyways, so all that effort was moot.
     So, just skip the middleman and avoid eating entirely... say, until when your white counts start to recover.
     As for the pills... yes, having some food in the stomach is necessary for digestion of certain pills.
   I'd say: 1> Consider not taking said pill -- is it really important? or...
   I'd say: 2> Ask from some Ativan before you take your pills -- it helps!


     The other things I sped my time doing (religiously) is mouth care and skin care. I do my following skincare/mouthcare regimens every time I get up for the bathroom.
*** MOUTHCARE ***
1> Rince with saline solution and spit out. Sounds simple enough.
*** SKINCARE ***
1> Apply general moisturizer to dry areas on chest and back
2> Apply special anti-itch moisturizer to itchy areas on chest and back, armpits, and groin area.
3> Apply super-special cream to areas of skin with a rash due to repetitive motion of areas (arm pits, thighs, groins, etc...)
4> Apply ultra-special powder.


     As much as I would hate to do so, #4 requires further elaboration if I am to be called a reporter of the facts. You could also label is as TMI;DR (Too much information; Don't Read).
     Anyhow, VP-16 is VERY toxic for the skin. I mean, right now, my chest looks like it's been put through a blender. Huge purple streaks are visible, rashes, and spots of red dots (folliculitis) show up everywhere.
     In addition, in areas with high friction, such as groin, or armpit, skin tissue has been known to slough off in chunks.
     Let's just say that I'm fighting to prevent that from happening, it can be quite difficult, and that is where powder #4 comes into play.
     I can see many making the following joke, so I'll just beat ya to it: For the sake....of...my skin...I must...powder my balls.


     Lastly, I'd just like to say a few words about patient-controlled analgesic. They switched me from Dilaudid to Fentanyl which effective halt the pain related nausea! Awesome! No more choosing between having pain or being sick. That is all. Take care outside world.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah! You've made it through Day 3! Yes, it IS a milestone. Stinks that you have yet another set of symptoms and side effects and pains in the mouth, chest and everywhere else to report. You are, if nothing else Austin, highly adaptive to each and every new experience that is served up to you. (sorry for the vague food reference in that metaphor) This week in school we had four hours of lecture on cancer - you are certainly making all the information come alive and have deeper meaning . . . but really, you didn't need to go to all this trouble for me. Seriously.
I remember feeling so sick that I couldn't imagine how I ever thought that eating was a good thing, or ever would again, for that matter. But my enthusiasm returned . . . . . completely . . with no lasting ill effects whatsoever. sigh
So glad you had it in you to write a nice long post today. I really look forward to hearing the latest each day.

Love and gentle hugs,

Tante Laurie

Liz said...

I love how you can make me laugh even under these circumstances. Can't wait to see you on Sat!

Skymist said...

I have placed myself in quarantine. My daughter and granddaughters have just come down with flu. I was with them on Election Night, which was Tuesday. That was 48 hours ago. How much time must pass before I can be sure I don't have flu? Probably at least 2 more days. There is no way I should walk onto a BMT ward if there is any chance I am about to come down with flu.

OTHER NEWS
Federal marshals hours ago moved in on an uncooperative drug wholesaler to seize heparin tainted by dangerous additives from manufacturers in China. As with the milk scandal, in which diluted milk was spiked with Melamine in order that the dilution not be detected by routine tests, the heparin was diluted then spiked with oversulfated Chondroitin, to cause standard tests to falsely indicate that the heparin was normal strength. However the adulterant has caused 250 deaths. Austin is using large amounts of heparin daily. Article is here. Clearly we cannot trust foods and pharmaceuticals made in China.

Anonymous said...

Hey Austin

Your skincare regimen sounds about as long as what us gals go through every day to look our best. = p

Are you feeling up to any of your video games yet? Perhaps not until your counts rebound. I enjoy my DS whenever I am stuck in a waiting room. It sure beats reading those waiting room magazines.

Glad your new meds are working so well. It appears that your doctors are doing a good job of tailoring the meds to your needs.

Were you able to vote before you were admitted?

Take care.

Austin said...

Alas, I did not vote for this election... it's a sad thing to admit, I know, but I missed the California absentee deadline by a day. Still, I think I get a pass this year.

As for the video games, I think I'm slowly starting to regain mental energy. I can see gaming near in the future.

Anonymous said...

The nurse said to wait between 48 and 72 hours after flu exposure before visiting.

Marie

Anonymous said...

Yeah, you get a pass on the vote.

Skymist said...

Well, it has been 72 hours since I saw my daughter and granddaughters (3) who have the flu. But I want to wait at least one more day.

In the meantime, Austin will enjoy seeing this important article.

Austin said...

I can't believe I wrote that!!

(I just read this post for the first time, since I don't remember most of what I wrote around this time)