Monday, November 3, 2008

[11-03-08] Happy Re-Birthday to Me (Day 0)

[5:46pm]
     Actually, the stem cells were the least of my concerns today. After discovering just how much happier and pain-free I could exist with Dilaudid, I became just a little upset when I had to wait an hour for some morning relief. Apparently, you're out of luck if you request any medication between 7:00am and 9:00am.
     So, in my discomfort, I sat there waiting for the nurse to administer the medication. It seems I do that a lot these days. And, well, today I had a nurse that was particularly slow. After a while, I got my medication, and was set up for a patient-controlled "clicker" device. Of course, we were told that this would take place before lunch, then before one thirty. Meanwhile, my initial dose had worn out hours ago and I'm feeling crummy. But, of course, I couldn't do anything about it because the "clicker" was on it's way. So more waiting.
     Then I vomit due to nausea... 30 minutes for Ativan (with mom bugging them twice). Yes, I'm complaining, but it has been a ridiculous day for me. People are suffering here!

     Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of very fast and dedicated nurses here. Plenty is not 100%, though. So every now and then, I guess ya get the short end of the stick.

     But my point here isn't to attack anyone, just to vent a little frustration and explain why my Re-Birthday has been somewhat more anti-climactic than expected. But now that the shifts are a-changing, I'm starting to feel a little more comfortable. My Dilaudid pump is working fine and keeping my stomach from eating itself. So all I really have to worry about it my skin (I am quite spotted!), eating food, and managing nausea.
     All in all, with the Dilaudid in the picture and a little effort, I can have a fine day. So sweet.

     We also moved into an isolation, i mean, single room. So there's a lot more space and it's kinda nice! My mom tells me I need to stay neutropenic! :P
     Still, though, I can't leave the room. Makes have a little cabin fever, ya know? I hope I'll make it through that alright.
     Oh, and can you believe it? Liz and I were casually talking when a maintenance guy storms in and says: "Ok, we're moving you now." I have so much stuff with me! The xbox, the computer, clothes, games, etc, etc, etc... IT was a very frantic few minutes, indeed. But we got it done. Kinda silly being a neutropenic BMT patient with a mask and scrambling like he's trying to loot an xbox 360.

     Thanks for the birthday wishes, everyone!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Austin,

So glad you're doing better, in general.

I'm not about to make excuses here, especially when the slow nurse made MY NEPHEW wait for his MUCH NEEDED pain meds! But I'm getting a little bit more insight into the life of a nurse and why 7-9 a.m. is a difficult time. First, the shift change is from 7:00 - 7:30, so during that time, your night nurse is filling your day nurse in on everything that's gone on with you (and her 4-5 other patients) during the last 12 hours. Important stuff. Then from 7:30 - 9:00 she is gathering and checking current labwork to make sure its okay to give you and her 4-5 other patients their regularly scheduled meds. That includes doing fingerstick blood tests and insulin on her diabetic patients before they can eat their breakfasts. And some other meds need to be administered before breakfast or with breakfast. And then she has to administer all the rest of the meds. Then throw in the unexpected things -- a patient has a crisis, phone calls to/from doctors, lab, family members, etc.

So all or none of that may apply to your situation, and as you've noticed yourself, some nurses can deal with it and don't keep you waiting. But just thought you might appreciate a little insight.

Keep up the reports! Your fan club is cheering like crazy!

Hugs,

Tante Laurie

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Yeah Baby!

Before you know it, your counts will bottom out and then they'll be on the upswing.