Tuesday, November 4, 2008

[11-04-08] A Challenge! (Day +1)

[8:17am]
     I feel that I have now familiarized with my arsenal: anti-emetics, Dilaudid, creams/ointments, mouthwash, applesauce, etc... I am ready for the challenge!

     At first, of course, I felt quite helpless. I mean, I was limited to the drugs the doctors provide, the schedule of the nurses, and how my body reacts to the chemo... But now, I'm establishing a sort of routine. Each time I head to the bathroom, I apply various lotions and use the mouthwash. Each time my mouth hurts especially, or my stomach feels upset, I can click away on the clicker! Control! It is a good thing.

     I suppose it's a time tested strategy for me: When the going gets tough, establish a routine. :P

     Bah, I just vomited. All that effort getting my rice crispies soggy so that I could eat them... Oh well, I'll just eat more or something. It's routine -- what can ya do?

     Funny... I can't talk right anymore :P I have to speak real slow -- like I'm drunk even.


[3:24pm]
     They upped my Dilaudid because the mucositis got so severe. In the blink of an afternoon, I can't eay anything -- it just isn't possible. Even Jello is too abrasive! Popsicles: Your tongue has to scrape the ice off.
     So, right now, I'm on a diet consisting entirely of Gatorade and water. Hmm, now is a perfect time to demonstrate the health benefits of non-alcoholic beer. A friend of mine's father, who is head of the pathology dept. at some big place, once told me that non-alcoholic beer is better for you than gatorade. The beer has starches, sugars, protein, and whatnot. So, they should prescribe me some non-alcoholic beer! My life may depend on it! :P

     Seriously, though... they'll probably give me liquid nutrients or something... eck. I need to keep my stomach processing stuff!

     Please excuse the fact that my posts may be a little less, uh, cerebral, than usual. :P

7 comments:

Skymist said...

So, at this moment, with regard to BMT, Austin is in the Belly of the Beast. This is the point at which maximum ablation of the blood generating tissues and marrow occurs. The replacement to the destroyed tissues are his transplanted stem cells, circulating already in his blood. At some point by a process I don't understand, they will take up residence in the tissues which were ablated by the chemotherapy and resume generating new blood cells. This should be the roughest part. This is that moment between when you step out of the airplane and the parachute opens. You don't know the exact second the chute will open, but you know it will happen eventually, and even if the seconds seem like hours, you have to just wait. It must be a kind of torture quite aside from the physical pain and discomfort. If I know Austin, one of the worst parts is the helplessness and boredom. We're all cheering you on, Austin. As bad as it is, it seems to be going according to expectations.

Veronica said...

Yup........you sound textbook, my friend! Take heart that it will pass. Wullie's mucositis was awful and he existed on a diet of nutrient shakes for most of his stay.

When your cells start to take, you'll be amazed how quickly you put this part behind you.....stay strong, A............Vx

Chris said...

Hey Austin, been keeping up with your exploits waiting to enter into the experience myself soon. I have my first transplant next Monday (doing tandem) and second in around 30 days. Keep up the good fight and keep pumpin the Dilaudid when you need it. Rooting for you bro, Chris in Seattle (chrisccc3 on Hodgkins forum)

Anonymous said...

Indeed, you are in the thick of it right now. The worst of the worst so-to-say. And yet. You still have kept a sense of humor. Amazing.

Easier days are coming.

liz's mom said...

Hold on Austin, the cavalry is coming...our thoughts are with you.
Liz's mom

Skymist said...

How can jello be too abrasive? That's hard to imagine. However, when I come by I will bring you a bit of butterscotch pudding. Hardly anything is more soft and unabrasive than that. Maybe it will work. I'll get some vanilla too, in case the butterscotch is offensive to your olfactory hypersensitivity. You would benefit from something other than Gatorade.

Skymist said...

In retrospect, this was not quite the "Belly of the Beast". More like the esophagus. Bone marrow recovery tends to begin after 5-9 days post-transplant, according to hospital staff, not 3 days.