Sunday, September 14, 2008

[9-14-08] The Infamous Chemo-Fart

[7:10pm]
     For some reason, I haven't seen it on any list of side-effects. I haven't read about it online, or in other blogs... but I know it exists.
     There was this one blog... where a nurse conspicuously asked the blogger, "How are you farting?"

     I believe this is because the chemotherapy damages the gastrointestinal tract, causing some food to remain partially undigested. This causes excess gas.
     It is difficult to admit, but I have experienced this as well. In fact, I noticed it as soon as the second month of Stanford V. It's not just a few extra "toots" here and there... I'm talking cancel-a-date-so-I-can-go-home-and-fart-all-evening type fart. Holding it in can be quite uncomfortable... especially without reprieve for hours.
     Eventually, one afflicted with the dreaded Chemo-Fart learns to adjust. You may notice them "going to the bathroom" quite often, without flushing. Outside, they may occasionally walk quite a good distance from you, or even disappear for moments entirely. This is normal.

     Anyhow, the reason I bring this up is twofold:
       1> No one ever talks about it
       2> I'm about to begin BMT

     Basically, during the crummy parts of my inpatient stuff, I imagine I'm not going to relish the idea of unplugging the IV-Pole and hiding in the bathroom to fart. I'm probably going to be sick and miserable, and holding in farts isn't going to help me feel better. So, in the form of a public service announcement, Days -4 to 14 are "fart without guilt days."
     People visiting me are welcome to clothespin their nose (though chemo-farts seem to be with little odor), or I can issue a verbal warning, such as "pull my finger." :P

     Oh, boy. I mentioned this to Dan a while back, and he makes it a point of farting in myself and others, and saying something loud like, "Whoaaa! Those Chemo-Farts sure pack a wallop, Austin."

     *ahem*

     On another note, tomorrow starts the first day of Stanford BMT week! It begins with an appointment with my doctor!

6 comments:

Veronica said...

OK, Austin, how do I put this??? During days -4 to 14, there may be days when farting brings with it more dangers.......shall we say 'you may get more than you bargained for'......for the same reasons as you've already said, it is very hard to escape gastrointestinal nasties when undergoing the high dose chemo - just a warning that's all!

And your chemo farts sound (glad to say that I will never be able to confirm from the smell aspect!) very much like my apricot farts......I know - TMI but I didn't want you to feel alone!!! :p

Vx

Oleswife said...

LOL Mom

Anonymous said...

The word must be spread!

I demand a "Chemo-fart" PSA!

=P

I swear, it's impossible to talk about farts very long without at least cracking a smile.

-TJ

Ariane said...

I found your post while Googling for some answers for my poor husband whose poor intestinal tract is suffering so much from the chemo. Thank you for making us both laugh - we needed that. Nobody talks about it, but I'll be blogging about it myself shortly. Ridiculous!
Hope that you are recovered and doing well.
Very best wishes,
Ariane

Melissa F. said...

Thank you so much for this blog! I also found this while googling for my husband who is undergoing chemo. He doesn't fart a lot, but when he does, OMGosh! They are AWFUL!!! This did make us laugh, which is something we really needed today. He just finished induction chemo and it didn't work as well as they had hoped so now he is doing his 2nd induction. At least now we know he's not alone with his gas. :)

Austin said...

Thanks so much for your comment! Liz and I had a laugh at this again as well. In my opinion, this is one of those exceptionally rare situations where fart-forgiveness is merited. :) I'm really glad I could help add a little humor.

Best wishes for your and your husband.