Friday, September 19, 2008

[9-19-08] Night Cough = Delayed Chemo?

[10:53pm]
     This morning, my Stanford nurse called with a warning: Monday's Cytoxan could be delayed further if I continued to have an irregular chest x-ray.
     With a night cough that has lasted for over a week despite antibiotics, I am growing increasingly concerned that there might actually be a troubling new diagnosis ahead. Even if there isn't, it doesn't seem to be going away, and I don't like the possibility of delaying chemo further. I understand the implications of reducing chemo-intensity and I don't like it.

     Fighting cancer is such a stressful occupation. Sometimes I wish I didn't have to call nurses, schedule appointments, wait for return calls, and panic about impending test results. It would be nice to just chill. Or maybe work full-time -- a forced distraction would be nice... video games and the internet can only encompass so much time... responsibility creeps in.

     Anyhow, I'm still isolated on the boat. It's going to be a big project getting this place prepared for post-cytoxan. Still, I can't delay the chemo even further due to illness -- that'd be devastating. Liz has a fever this weekend, so I can't see her either. I'm really bummed about that -- I was really looking forward to seeing her. Damn cancer.
     Bah.

     As for the catheter, it is really creepy injecting Heparin into a tube leading directly into your heart. Really freaky. You don't want any air bubbles! And don't forget to clamp the tube shut! The prospect of me forgetting something like that...
     Well, at least I'm getting used to it.

1 comment:

Veronica said...

wow - you inject your own heparin? Nurses did that for Wullie.......and glad they did!

I hear your frustration about possible chemo delay - BUT you do need to be healthy (or as healthy as someone fighting cancer can be :p) to take on these cancer drugs.

Keep your chin up - hope Liz gets well quickly, having loved ones on hand is essential for your sanity............thinking of you.........Vx