Thursday, September 18, 2008

[9-18-08] Hickman Catheter Placement #2

[11:29am]
     It was quite a different experience to have a procedure done in a teaching hospital. Still, it wasn't like what you'd expect to see in an episode of "Scrubs" or "House." There weren't a bunch of bumbling interns, and residents too busy dating one another to worry about the patients. It was actually quite serious there.
     However, that doesn't mean that everything went perfectly. My nurse had trouble putting the IV into my right hand, so she asked for help. It was quite disconcerting to have another nurse demonstrate the proper method while I sit there quietly. At one point, it went something like this: "Feel this vein? Like this. Still don't? Ok, try this. Here, feel right here. No? Ok, well you can at least see it, right?" Quite disconcerting.
     Then there is the surgery itself. After having myriad medical procedures performed on myself, I believe that I am somewhat capable of evaluating them. Let me say this: Stanford may be the world's best place to be for a lymphoma BMT, but consider getting your catheter placed elsewhere. Okay, that's not a totally fair assessment. First, it looks like the catheter was placed just fine. Second, I can't judge an institution based on a single doctor.
     My problem was that the procedure itself was painful. I had to constantly nag the doctor that what he was doing was painful. At first, he was receptive, but eventually I got the impression that he started to find my complaints annoying. Either that, or he believed that there was no possible way I could be feeling any pain with the amount of Fentanyl that he had administered; that I may have been faking pain to get more pain medication or something.

     A couple of things he said before the procedure:
     1: The only pain you will feel is from the lidocaine injections (local anesthetic).
     2: You'll probably forget the whole thing.

     Both were terribly wrong... I remember the whole procedure. I really think they didn't expect me to. At one point, I heard the doctor complain that my vein was being "stubborn." At another point, after I had complained, I recall the doctor telling the nurse to give me "the rest of the Versed", and that they "might as well not waste it." I'm not quite sure what this means (I had a blue sheet blocking my vision), but perhaps I am allocated a fixed amount of medication for a procedure? As far as I know, Versed is what makes you forget the procedure -- the Fentanyl is for pain. Anyhow, it's over now. Still, my point is that I remember my other two procedures (one, a port placement) with conscious sedation -- I hardly felt any pain at all. So why the pain this time?


     After the procedure, Barbara and I headed to the ENT appointment. She stuck this long tube with a camera attached to it... through my nose and down my throat. I loved how, before the procedure, she commented, "You've been subjected to so much, that this'll be a piece of cake for you." She was right; it was.
     Anyhow, she concluded that I was fine. So, good news there.

     The bad news is that, due to my cough, everything in my BMT schedule has been delayed a week. I should be enjoying a Cytoxan martini right now, but that's been delayed until Monday... which causes a delay in everything else by a full week. So, no outpatient conditioning chemo until Oct. 21st.

     Oh well. I've got a busy schedule! I'm just about to head to an appointment with a local oncologist (so that I can get labs in Santa Cruz). But first, I have to figure out how to work this darn catheter. I want a shower!

5 comments:

Liz said...

I think we need to get it into your chart someplace that you require enough Fentanyl to fell a horse. Or perhaps on your medical ID bracelet. Sorry it was so rough, hon!

Austin said...

Indeed!

Anonymous said...

Austin, can you hear me, I am trying your suggestion under anonymous. Hope it works. Love ya, vikki

Oleswife said...

I learned that it needs to be your email address then password.

I agree with Liz...you are your best advocate and who cares how tired they get of hearing someone say "that hurts". If it hurts, tell them!

Love,

Mom

Austin said...

Read you loud and clear, Vikki :)