Tuesday, September 16, 2008

[9-16-08] Pleural Effusion

[11:07am]
     My doctor from Stanford just called... I've learned that a direct call from a doctor is never a good thing. At least, not with cancer. My chest x-ray indicated a fluid build-up around my left lung -- a pleural effusion. This fluid build-up is especially vulnerable to infection, which is exactly what my doctor believed has happened. From what I gather, with an effusion, the fact that I start coughing whenever I lie down means that infection is quite likely.

     My doctor wants to start me on 5-day antibiotics. This means delaying the chemo. Hopefully, Cytoxan will begin early next week. Hopefully, this wont effect my BMT schedule too adversely. Hopefully, I will learn to use the word "hopefully" correctly.

     See, technically, my first comment means: "Cytoxan will begin early next week with a hopeful demeanor." Or, "I will learn to use the word 'hopefully' with a hopeful demeanor." What everyone is used to is actually incorrect usage. But, oh well, everyone does it -- that mean it is OK in the English language.

     Sorry, my mind wanders when I am upset. Oh well, at least the treatment should get me a good night's sleep. That would be great.

1 comment:

Liz said...

Bah. It sucks that this'll change your schedule around ... still, I am relieved you won't have to deal with the coughing much longer!