Sunday, September 28, 2008

['9-28-08] Looks can be Deceiving

[4:55pm]
     Today was somewhat embarrassing. Liz, Barbara, Gloria, and I were planning on attending a symphony. One of the pieces was Rachmaninoff's "Rhapsody on a Theme by Paganini," which is a total selling point for me. So I *had* to go. The downside: I had to wear my HEPA/Vader mask.

     Naturally, I was the only one wearing such a thing. So I was really standing out. At first, I panicked about what they thought about me: that I was infected with avian flu or something. But then, I got used to it. It wasn't all that bad, plus Liz was quite comforting.

     There was only one comment about it. The guy next to me asked rather bluntly, "So, why the mask? Are you contagious or something?" I told him I wasn't, then he went into a lecture about how masks are necessary for the people in Taiwan or something. Apparently, smog is the least of their concerns.

     Of course, during the symphony, my phone was off. During this time, I was getting calls from my local oncologist and Stanford. When I got home, I checked my messages: They got my labs and my blood counts were quite low:

   White Blood Count: 0.2 (Basically, I have no immune system)
   Hematocrit: 24.3 (For comparison, a hematocrit of under 28 merits a transfusion)
   Hemoglobin: 8.5 (I'm even more anemic, but we all knew that)

     So, my local oncologist is concerned that I might get a fever. Stanford expects the WBC to be so low, but does not want the RBC to be this low. Accordingly, I have a transfusion scheduled for Monday -- how exciting! Let's hope they can use the damn catheter this time!

     Speaking of catheter: it sucks. They must have botched the placement or something, because it is absolutely impossible for me to sleep on my side. It gets to be quite painful. So, naturally, I get no sleep. I try to sleep on my back, but then at some part of the night I turn to me side, and later wake up in pain.
     This has to be fixed.

2 comments:

Veronica said...

Sorry to hear your counts are so low, but at least the chemo is battering your body and as such is battering your cancer :}

I have been trying to post comments over the past couple of days but your website doesn't like my computer or vice versa......don't have a problem with anyone else's blog - just yours.........if I were a sensitive soul I'd think your blog was trying to tell me something :p

Hope the transfusion was a success and that that's all you need for the time being - do you have a date for your stem cell collection??..........Vx

Austin said...

Thanks V! Oh, and I hope the website is working better now.

Stem Cell Collection is scheduled tentatively for Friday -- I'm so excited!