Monday, December 15, 2008

[12-15-08] Appointment

[9:28pm]
     I've learned to dread my Stanford appointments... not because of anything medical, but because of the tremendous amount of time wasted. Today, surprisingly, wasn't too bad -- only a couple of hours of waiting. Still, I think about a recent house episode: A random character freaks out and smacks the table because, "I've been waiting for over an hour."
     Pfft. That's nothing :P

     My true nemesis was the rain. At the last minute, I discover that it is going to rain on Monday. I had no choice, and there was too little time to figure out some sort of other means of transportation... so I had to drive the motorcycle to Stanford.
     Not fun at all. The cool part was that I bought some really heavy duty construction rainproof gear in preparation for the trip. So I didn't get too wet. And, entering the clinic with the Darth Vader mask and a bright yellow jumpsuit got some odd looks.

     OK, onto the important stuff. The CT scan I received on Friday was completely clear; there was no sign of fungal infection in the lungs. So that's good. And the really good news is that I should only need one more bone marrow biopsy! And it can be from 6 to 12 months from now! Of course, why was I incorrectly told that I needed a barrage of biopsies in the first place? These medical professionals should use words like "I believe..." or "Typically..." instead of "You will have..." when there is uncertainty or just plain guesswork.
     I digress.

     Other than that, I should start to see my local oncologist and have a Pet-CT in three weeks or so. And that's about it!
     Hmm... Why couldn't this appointment have been skipped entirely, and the news been delivered on the phone? Oh well, I'm just glad the Stanford phase is officially over (though I have a few remaining appointments, for some reason).

4 comments:

Veronica said...

All round good news, eh?? Fantastic - just what is needed to truly get you into the festive spirit so you can enjoy the holidays to the full.

I think a photo of you in your motorbike getup is a must!!!

looking forward to an equally positive post next week :0)........Vx

Anonymous said...

Austin

Well check out all that GREAT news! The clean CT and no biopsy for 6-12 months is just awesome!

Riding your motorcycle in the rain - that actually sounds sort of fun. You know, that dangerous kind of fun. ha ha!

When do you leave for Michigan? This will be a holiday season to celebrate.

Jean said...

Hi Austin--
I'm Jean from the National Bone Marrow Transplant Link in Southfield, MI. (Where in MI are you going for Christmas?) Our organization helps patients and families cope with the social/emotional challenges of BMT by providing information and support services. We found your blog through google blog alerts.
My daughter was 20 when she had her transplant for AML 6 years ago, so I understand a little bit about what you're going through. You feel that your "real life" is on hold while you're going through this--you're so anxious to just get it all behind you!
If you would like to talk to a survivor through our Peer Support on Call program please email me at jeanjones@nbmtlink.org. I'd also like to send you our Help&Hope bracelet, if you send me your mailing address.
Please visit our web site, www.nbmtlink.org, to learn more about our programs, including "Celebrating Second Birthdays" survivorship recognition.
All the best to you,
Jean

Adva Ahava said...

Hey sweetie,

Just leaving a note to let you know that I've been reading. I know I haven't left a comment in awhile. We should chat sometime soon.

Be well.

H