Monday, December 8, 2008

[12-08-08] Format C:

[3:09pm]
     I just cleaned my room and fully set-up my workspace. In other words, as of now, I am fully moved in. It always takes longer the first time... a lot of asking "where should I put this?" The next time, everything has its place and the cleaning goes a lot quicker. So I think it's a milestone of sorts... and I've been putting it off since I moved in.

     Also, in the digital realm, I formatted my computer's system drive today. After a year or so, my computer gets quite... disorganized. I find that wiping the system drive and reinstalling the applications I use is the quickest way to get re-organized.
     And I want to get organized. I want to get to work! I want to produce! The first step... is creating a clean workspace. Another milestone of sorts.

     This all is a manifestation of my desire to return to the real world. Time to go from escapist gamer to student (more casual gamer). Time to get ready for college, graduation, and apply myself for success in the real world... again. Time to put cancer in the background.

     Of course, there are times where the cancer/treatment is unavoidably in the foreground... like when my radiation treatments start in a few months. But, until then, I am allowed certain some freedom in not having an appointment every other day. So, I think I'll use this downtime as an opportunity to give my mind a break and spend less time thinking about the cancer.
     It's a change of mental posture. Time for a relaxed stance.

     This includes my blog, of course. I'm not really thinking about it as much, and I certainly don't want to try to think about the cancer... that's like dwelling on it. So, I'll just say less... that is, unless there is an event/appointment or something that gives me something to talk about.

     Accordingly, I'm going to reduce my posts to every Monday until my radiation treatments start. Of course, I'll also post as soon as I can if there's any news or events.

     That being said... see ya next week for my (supposedly) last Stanford appointment!

2 comments:

Veronica said...

Hey A,

Sounds like you're ready to 'reboot'!
I just wanted to reiterate that you should take your time......allow yourself time to come to terms with life post-cancer. I don't doubt that you are of a much brighter disposition than my husband (he's very much a glass half empty kinda guy, as much as I love him!) but he had the same drive and desire to get back to the 'real world' and when he got there he was somewhat disillusioned which led to prolonged periods of depression. Now, I know that personalities play a big part in this and I only know of you what you have shared here, but I suspect everyone needs a period of adjustment after all you've been through.

Lecture over........have a good day!...........Vx

Anonymous said...

Hi Austin,

Things are falling into place nicely. It makes me happy to know that you are so happy right now. = D

I can't wait to hear about your visit to Michigan to meet Liz's family. I hope there is a lot of snow!

C-ya' on Mondays.