Wednesday, July 30, 2008

[7-30-08] Evening Report

[11:36pm]
     I just finished the chemo and whatnot -- this'll be a piece of cake. No nausea yet; just the familiar "I just had chemo" sensation. It could be the placebo effect, but it feels more like my body *should* be feeling bad, but I've been given great meds to combat that. Kinda like pouring a glass of hot water into a glass of cold water: the two cancel out, but the glass itself remains oddly cold for a short period of time.
     The bad news is that I am not getting the maximum dose of ifosfamide (of the mustard family). My order says "maximum dose" of 1000mg/m2. Calculating my surface area, my nurse tells me that I am 2.2m2. This means that I should get a dose of 2200mg; my actual dose is 1750mg. From what I gather, my large size translates into a dose of ifosfamide that is well over safe limits in a short period of time (4 days). Accordingly, my doctor lowered that dose so that I will receive 7000mg in four days. Still, I like large doses of chemo.
     On a related topic, I've been drinking massive amounts of water. The frequency of bladder problems is quite common on this drug, so I'm doing the "better safe than sorry" approach.

2 comments:

Skymist said...

That is baffling. A drug which is dispensed according to body surface area? Is that because its primary side effects are spread equally on the skin? Most drugs are dosed according to body weight.

Austin said...

Ya got me! I dunno