Tuesday, July 29, 2008

[7-29-08] The Big Plan

[8:51am]
     Today is the big day! To say I am anxious is a bit of an understatement. I mean, I find out the big plan today. Will I be able to continue school? How long will I be hospitalized? How long will the treatment last? Is it a harsh treatment? Can I get total-lymphoid irradiation? Pretty pleeeeeeze? All will be answered.
     Which is also why my Liz and my family is going to be there. They've prepared some pretty difficult questions, and I'm under the impression that if they are not answered properly, Barbara will ship me off to Chicago. Northwestern University has pretty good experience for people in exactly my situation: non-advanced bulky Hodgkin's with primary induction failure and no previous radiation. Believe it or not, the fact that I have not had any radiation before gives me a huge statistical bump. 83% event-free survival rate! Isn't that grea... wait... How can I be happy with that? True, those are the best odds I've heard for those in my camp. But, those are worse odds than playing Russian roulette with a 6-shooter.
     Oh well, when life gives you lemons, you should go to Northwestern and be happy with the odds you're given.

[5:00pm]
     Ok, the master plan is in. I think it is a good one and Stanford may work out fine. Ok, everyone is back at the hotel. I'm gonna write more later -- right now is time to drink and have fun.

No comments: