Friday, February 15, 2008

[2-15-08] Orchid's Flower

     A few days after I was first diagnosed, I bought an orchid. I vowed to take care of the plant like it was my own life. The flower died a few days ago...
     I tried everything. I ran to the florist, and asked for advice. He told me exactly how much they liked to be watered, and that they liked to be misted in the mornings. I bought a spray bottle and went to it...
     A few days later, the flower still wasn't looking healthy. I told him about this, and he mentioned that my apartment may not be getting enough air circulation. Desperate, I went to Wallgreen's and bought three fans. I opened my windows and let all three fans continually circulate the air in my small room. Leaving my windows open meant cold nights and random noises on the busy street waking me up several times a night. But the orchid had to live.

     I hope this is not a prophecy.

     Fortunately, the plant part is still alive. I wonder...when it flowers again next year, will it mark the cure of my cancer? Probably, I'll be cured before then...or, perhaps the orchid will flower early?
     Valentine's day was awesome. Liz was great. Carpe diem!

2 comments:

Adva Ahava said...

Orchids are REALLY hard to take care of. I've never been able to do it. Then again, I even managed to kill off a cactus in one year.

Austin said...

Orchid is still kicking though!

I like to mess with it by occasionally forcing the leaves to grow in another direction. :P They follow the sun.